Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Little Girl in the Big City....

SO here I find myself alone in NYC. Why am I here? well I get to represent CCS. My college Alma mater. It's a free trip and it's NYC so why would I say no when they asked?? I have to do a little work while I am here. Tonight, for example, I have to make my way to Javits Convention Center and meet with prospective college students. I'll pass out brochures and answer questions. It should be fun. My first day here has been great so far. I still can't believe it is only 2:30 pm when I feel it should be at least 8pm. But maybe that's because I was up this morning at 5:45 am!
My flight in was smooth and I even got to listen to a few songs on the new Florence album. The Taxi ride sucked ass. It took me 45 mins to get to my hotel! I know NYC has awful traffic but the constant start and stop made me feel like I might barf. I did pass through the fashion district and I couldn't believe how many fabric stores their are.
I finally arrived at my hotel, Yotel and was pleasantly surprised. It's pretty nice. It's very small but, It's only me staying here. Not a family of five.



The bed is pretty sweet and perfect for a reader like me. You can move it up and down so you're either sitting or laying. They even have little lights for me to shine down on my book.:)
I arrived to the hotel starving so I was directed by the concierge to somewhere close for lunch. I ended up at this little italian restaurant a few blocks away. I was a little apprehensive to go in because no one was in the place. But as I was glancing at the menu a waiter came out and started telling me about the specials and how the chef will cook me whatever I'd like so I decided to not break this guys heart and I went in. To my surprise it was really, really good.


I have italian at home a lot but it's always good to have when you need something comforting. The bread was good, the salad was amazing and the lasagna made me feel all warm inside. I could have eaten bowls of that salad. So I was feeling good about my choice but then in the window they had a notice saying their food and health inspection grade was pending! I thought " what the hell?" As I walked back to the hotel I noticed that all the restaurants had grades. In Michigan they don't post anything like that on the windows, and maybe they should. I asked the hotel about it when I got back and of course they told me not to worry. It's a new thing NY is doing and I should just stay away from places that have like a C in their window. :)Oh well, I'll let you know if I get sick or not.

Well now I must get ready to talk to High School students. I think I'll take a nap. Tomorrow is my free day. It will be a gallery and museum day!

No comments:

Post a Comment